Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Frederick Douglass No. 1.
In Talbot County, eastern shore, state of Maryland, in a thinly populated worn-out district inhabited
by a white population of the lowest order, among slaves who in point of ignorance were fully in accord
with their surroundings-it was here that Frederick Douglass was born and spent the first years of his
childhood-February 1818. (1939)
Workbook: February, 2003
- February 28, 2003: She lost her virginity on a college field trip to the countryside outside Chiang Mai...
- February 27, 2003: She's not sure she knows her birthday.
- February 26, 2003: "Shirt and shoes required."
- February 25, 2003: One doesn't like having her back scratched...
- February 24, 2003: The problem with having a girlfriend with a husband is that she has to cancel her dates with you if he decides not to leave town.
- February 23, 2003: "All the girls talk about how cute you are. You could probably have anybody you want."
- February 22, 2003: Shiny, flat, coin-shaped object in the sky, flashes by at supersonic speed...
- February 21, 2003: He mentioned he wanted to meet with me to talk about his marriage problems.
- February 20, 2003: Her husband learned the truth through a Socratic process of elimination.
- February 19, 2003: Two steps into your lovely clifftop apartment and it rings inside your heart like the slam of a prison door.
- February 18, 2003: 757, window seat, left side, last row at the far back.
- February 17, 2003: Sad, eaten away.
- February 16, 2003: Her best friend told me, "You know, no-one's going to want to go out with you..."
- February 15, 2003: At lunch one day she leapt to my ear...
- February 14, 2003: Her new flame: Executive Director of a nonprofit she recently helped fund.
- February 13, 2003: Mushroom cloud. San Francisco Bay.
- February 12, 2003: The moment when she insisted on pulling out one of his gray hairs.
- February 11, 2003: The day after Judgement Day.
- February 10, 2003: She shared gossip about me, from the Chinese students.
- February 9, 2003: With her sister at the aquarium.
- February 8, 2003: Like many sensitive people she's blind to the sensitivities of others.
- February 7, 2003: Her father, who is clearly inhabited by demons, had this to say about the expensive shirts his wife bought him for xmas:
- February 6, 2003: Spring. Tall boy runs up zigzag stairs, arrives breathless and laughing.
- February 5, 2003: The way she leaves half-full ashtrays at points around the house...
- February 4, 2003: Her apartment on 3rd Avenue. Crying on the couch: after weeks of back-and-forth her boyfriend finally agrees that he wants to break up, too.
- February 3, 2003: Metal kids in the park.
- February 2, 2003: Her sister came to visit, stood staring nearsighted at the pictures on my desk.
- February 1, 2003: I asked her once, "Why'd we break up?"
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.