Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Frederick Douglass No. 20.
Frederick Douglass left America to lecture in Great Britain. Here he met some of the most progressive
and liberal-minded men in the English speaking world. He made a great speech on Covent Garden Theatre
on August 7, 1846, in which he told of the people he represented-how at that moment there were three
million colored slaves in the United States. (1939)
Workbook: August, 2003
- August 31, 2003: Call me Ishmael. Or, call me Stan.
- August 30, 2003: Sunshine. Yellow-gold. The color of the sky, vibrant blue, desert blue.
- August 29, 2003: My ex very kindly and tactfully suggested that therapy might be appropriate.
- August 28, 2003: Another lifetime. A different universe.
- August 27, 2003: Packed plaza, people pressed body to body, moving with difficulty through the enormous crowd.
- August 26, 2003: Parking lot, Sausalito, afternoon on a sunny summer day, 1999.
- August 25, 2003: On horseback he'll ride down a friend...
- August 24, 2003: Tall woman, pink prom dress, surveys the party from the top of the stairs.
- August 23, 2003: Her one purpose in life is to ensure that the people around her are less happy than she is.
- August 22, 2003: The neurotically violent slogans of the counter-demonstrators at this year's antiwar rallies.
- August 21, 2003: It's only after twenty years, and fourteen years of distance, that I'm able to see what my friends saw at the time.
- August 20, 2003: It's like Norm walking into the bar on Cheers.
- August 19, 2003: Her strange Puritanism.
- August 18, 2003: The way adults project their fantasies onto children.
- August 17, 2003: The sound of cracking tree limbs.
- August 16, 2003: MUNI bus, San Francisco, early 1990s.
- August 15, 2003: We all knew who the burglar was.
- August 14, 2003: "I've been afraid of changing 'cause I built my life around you..."
- August 13, 2003: Hospital bed, intensive care.
- August 12, 2003: University campus, lower floor of a multistory urban building.
- August 11, 2003: Look out the doors, what's to be seen?
- August 10, 2003: Jesus' message is remarkably simple.
- August 9, 2003: It's really only...
- August 8, 2003: Bitterly he said...
- August 7, 2003: Hairs on end on the flesh of your arms...
- August 6, 2003: With an upturned nose she said, "I read that men's beard's grow faster if they're anticipating sex."
- August 5, 2003: Shower. Friends' house, San Francisco, 1983.
- August 4, 2003: American flags by the dozen.
- August 3, 2003: The Professor entered New Camp X-Ray looking quizzical.
- August 2, 2003: Hat in hand, the Skipper walked hesitantly into New Camp X-Ray, where he stood facing Gilligan through imaginary bars.
- August 1, 2003: Clutching a large aluminum briefcase to his heart, Mr. Howell reluctantly entered New Camp X-Ray, where he stood facing Mary Ann through imaginary bars.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.