Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Harriet Tubman No. 11. "$500
Reward! Runaway from subscriber on Thursday night, the 4th inst., from the neighborhood of Cambridge, my
negro girl, Harriet, sometimes called Minty. Is dark chestnut color, rather stout build, but bright and
handsome. Speaks rather deep and has a scar over the left temple. She work a brown plaid shawl. I will
give the above reward captured outside the county, and $300 if captured inside the county, in either case
to be lodged in the Cambridge, Maryland, jail. (Signed) George Carter, Broadacres, near Cambridge, Maryland,
September 24th, 1849" (1940)
Workbook: September, 2004
- September 30, 2004: Cool as euphemism for "slavishly adaptive to peer pressure".
- September 29, 2004: The film hints at but does not explicitly narrate...
- September 28, 2004: Graffito in the laundromat, Abbott Street, 1980.
- September 27, 2004: Interpersonal imperialism.
- September 26, 2004: Down from the height of the mountaintop I coasted...
- September 25, 2004: Flames, orange, apocalyptic.
- September 24, 2004: "The White House anticipates a build-up and wants a victory over cave men in black pajamas."
- September 23, 2004: After work one day I took her to North Beach Pizza.
- September 22, 2004: "Are you gay?"
- September 21, 2004: Landing above a multi-story courtyard.
- September 20, 2004: "I've decided not to read those..."
- September 19, 2004: "Would you like me to make you breakfast?"
- September 18, 2004: She talks on the phone with her best friend.
- September 17, 2004: In the years since that war enemy generals have commented in detail...
- September 16, 2004: Reversals.
- September 15, 2004: George Takei, chairman emeritus of the board of trustees of the Japanese American National Museum...
- September 14, 2004: John Wayne's pro-war propaganda film...
- September 13, 2004: Low wooden desks with wood-backed chairs, small, children's size.
- September 12, 2004: The smell of wild brush.
- September 11, 2004: Barbwire fence strung between low wooden posts...
- September 10, 2004: The eerie statue in Stalingrad of children dancing around alligators.
- September 9, 2004: Desperately panting at the summit of the hill...
- September 8, 2004: George and Ursula as Adam and Eve.
- September 7, 2004: When film Commies die...
- September 6, 2004: "I've been such a fool, Vassili."
- September 5, 2004: In Junior High I kept a record one year of when I did and did not go to school.
- September 4, 2004: Her disbelief is actually pretty reasonable.
- September 3, 2004: They would send me to bed...
- September 2, 2004: Think about how lucky they were.
- September 1, 2004: For all its brilliance the show is conformist...
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.