Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Toussaint L'Ouverture No. 29.
L'Ouverture made a triumphant march into San Domingo on the 2nd of January, 1801, at the head of 10,000
men, and hoisted the flag of the French Republic. Toussaint did not wish to break with the French, the
largest group of Haitian inhabitants. The Blacks themselves spoke patois French. (1938)
Workbook: January, 2005
- January 31, 2005: I hate my memories of you both.
- January 30, 2005: A fugitive is being chased.
- January 29, 2005: "'Little America', eh?"
- January 28, 2005: Along the coastal trail the families look daunted.
- January 27, 2005: A very small girl indeed is frightened because her friend is the friend of someone she's not friends with.
- January 26, 2005: She struggles to control the situation by making demands.
- January 25, 2005: Death and Christopher Robin.
- January 24, 2005: Chambers, chambers, seen through cold water flowing slow like icicles.
- January 23, 2005: An old man pulls his white hair forward, to show the top of his bald head.
- January 22, 2005: That the best of them convey motion...
- January 21, 2005: For ages I believed the monkey on her back was alcohol.
- January 20, 2005: White-haired lady, unhealthy, a walking cancer-cluster...
- January 19, 2005: "Why don't you wait upstairs?"
- January 18, 2005: "You don't have to do anything special."
- January 17, 2005: The concept of psychical vampire.
- January 16, 2005: We've got four wheels on our feet.
- January 15, 2005: Same old, same old, same old, same old, same old, same old, same old, same old, same old, same old, same old, same old.
- January 14, 2005: "Are we going east?"
- January 13, 2005: To the side of the roadbed:
- January 12, 2005: "It all begins here."
- January 11, 2005: Tongue of the boot.
- January 10, 2005: Anger can be helpful, it can move you forward, it can lead to resolution.
- January 9, 2005: Reading in bed.
- January 8, 2005: "Bush niggies."
- January 7, 2005: Mother's a great spy.
- January 6, 2005: Gray-haired woman, poodle-permed, putting on weight.
- January 5, 2005: I was surprised to find you staying in the same hotel.
- January 4, 2005: Dark-haired woman, mid-thirties...
- January 3, 2005: That's the nature of spiders.
- January 2, 2005: In anger you throw a paintbrush past your mother...
- January 1, 2005: Rich hippies in the Rolls.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.