Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Toussaint L'Ouverture No. 6.
The birth of Toussaint L'Ouverture, May 20, 1743. Both of Toussaint's parents were slaves. (1938)
Workbook: May, 2005
- May 31, 2005: Black lettering on a white background, flying from the yardarm like a pirate flag.
- May 30, 2005: The street level is given over to cars and heat.
- May 29, 2005: At the border crossing the women guards disbelieve my passport photo.
- May 28, 2005: The monks are experienced canvassers.
- May 27, 2005: The serving staff circle like airliners on holding pattern.
- May 26, 2005: Young man, twenty, strong-looking, tanned, shirtless...
- May 25, 2005: Around the dinner table one evening the grownups discussed domestic gender roles.
- May 24, 2005: Dialog with the dead.
- May 23, 2005: How do you reject someone for putting you down...
- May 22, 2005: Three peculiar ideologies of the work which artists do.
- May 21, 2005: Unintentional psychic vampires fit two important criteria.
- May 20, 2005: What may a truly evil person be?
- May 19, 2005: To be a Christian...
- May 18, 2005: In the dust on the old man's shelves...
- May 17, 2005: Elderly gentleman, retired.
- May 16, 2005: In mockery and amused contempt: "It doesn't have a balance control!"
- May 15, 2005: From among the gray-white headstones a thin string dances.
- May 14, 2005: Several members of your department are seated together in a rental car shuttle bus.
- May 13, 2005: "Stockholm Syndrome".
- May 12, 2005: Even sadder to realize that her isolation began so early.
- May 11, 2005: She taught me to drive a stick-shift...
- May 10, 2005: Stacks and stacks of combination locks new in boxes...
- May 9, 2005: Which isn't such a difficult question.
- May 8, 2005: Those two examples are excellent illustrations of doing the right thing in abusive situations.
- May 7, 2005: Senior executive, high-flying dot-com.
- May 6, 2005: Tiny puppy, hairless...
- May 5, 2005: Blood, dripping from a bruised and cut eyelid, slowly swelling.
- May 4, 2005: Sandy-haired man leans from a second-floor balcony shouting into the street...
- May 3, 2005: Apologies, unasked for, over mistaken decisions from forty years ago.
- May 2, 2005: Your old room.
- May 1, 2005: The switchboard operator seems irritated.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.