Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Harriet Tubman No. 11. "$500
Reward! Runaway from subscriber on Thursday night, the 4th inst., from the neighborhood of Cambridge, my
negro girl, Harriet, sometimes called Minty. Is dark chestnut color, rather stout build, but bright and
handsome. Speaks rather deep and has a scar over the left temple. She work a brown plaid shawl. I will
give the above reward captured outside the county, and $300 if captured inside the county, in either case
to be lodged in the Cambridge, Maryland, jail. (Signed) George Carter, Broadacres, near Cambridge, Maryland,
September 24th, 1849" (1940)
Workbook: September, 2005
- September 30, 2005: I'm settin on the fukkin plane right now waitin to fukkin take off.
- September 29, 2005: Strange girl.
- September 28, 2005: Why do you think of her now?
- September 27, 2005: Sits by herself on a tuft of grass...
- September 26, 2005: Middleaged with pimples, heavyset, red pony tail.
- September 25, 2005: White-blonde, elderly, beer belly in flower print.
- September 24, 2005: Naturally, she failed.
- September 23, 2005: "I chose him because he was the man who was the most unlike you that I could find."
- September 22, 2005: Your grandfather's watch.
- September 21, 2005: Regrets.
- September 20, 2005: It looks like the crows have a good life here.
- September 19, 2005: Return to an old job.
- September 18, 2005: We are all messages.
- September 17, 2005: We went to Nevada City for the weekend...
- September 16, 2005: "A murder-suicide pact..."
- September 15, 2005: Her father was a tycoon.
- September 14, 2005: Shock over seeing her name.
- September 13, 2005: Long-haired man, small, strong, vibrant gecko tattoo climbing one arm.
- September 12, 2005: Journals from before we met.
- September 11, 2005: I hate to write anymore.
- September 10, 2005: "If she'd had more of a spine she'd have been a fine lawyer."
- September 9, 2005: "It's kinda strange and stuff too."
- September 8, 2005: Fist.
- September 7, 2005: Dirty blonde, wavy; black RayBans; iPhone.
- September 6, 2005: Then what it changed.
- September 5, 2005: That it was always false...
- September 4, 2005: It began with abuse of invisibility.
- September 3, 2005: You were right to break up with her.
- September 2, 2005: Electric carts without horns or warning lights.
- September 1, 2005: I bought her yogurt for her yeast infection.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.