Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Frederick Douglass No. 20.
Frederick Douglass left America to lecture in Great Britain. Here he met some of the most progressive
and liberal-minded men in the English speaking world. He made a great speech on Covent Garden Theatre
on August 7, 1846, in which he told of the people he represented-how at that moment there were three
million colored slaves in the United States. (1939)
Workbook: August, 2006
- August 31, 2006: The hotel has a problem which has forced you to sleep outside.
- August 30, 2006: "Dolores" means pain.
- August 29, 2006: Now you're on a city bus.
- August 28, 2006: She was terribly upset by her son's frequent cursing...
- August 27, 2006: Her colleague has an advanced computer screen.
- August 26, 2006: "I hate it when they sing 'mama' this and 'mama' that."
- August 25, 2006: The office is more crowded than you remember.
- August 24, 2006: The audience.
- August 23, 2006: Negativity, meanness.
- August 22, 2006: "I'm very balanced."
- August 21, 2006: People are so easily hardened to violence.
- August 20, 2006: Total inability to suss...
- August 19, 2006: I dragged those two sweaters around for years...
- August 18, 2006: Oh god, those phone calls.
- August 17, 2006: The European assimilation of Tahiti with Eden...
- August 16, 2006: Strange person.
- August 15, 2006: Worry.
- August 14, 2006: Whistle, from behind.
- August 13, 2006: You'd find him sleeping in the common room with his eyes open, unblinking.
- August 12, 2006: Betrayed, by this body.
- August 11, 2006: Holds a baking rack to her face.
- August 10, 2006: Hand wax.
- August 9, 2006: Think about the impressive things which humans accomplish.
- August 8, 2006: Comes to your house, opens your blender, peeks inside.
- August 7, 2006: Barking dogs.
- August 6, 2006: How free I felt, leaving that crummy clique.
- August 5, 2006: "I'll give you a blowjob."
- August 4, 2006: The end of something which has given you pleasure.
- August 3, 2006: Stuffed bear, almost as large as me...
- August 2, 2006: We fired down on the beach from inside thick walls of concrete.
- August 1, 2006: The Junk Drawer.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.