Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Frederick Douglass No. 20.
Frederick Douglass left America to lecture in Great Britain. Here he met some of the most progressive
and liberal-minded men in the English speaking world. He made a great speech on Covent Garden Theatre
on August 7, 1846, in which he told of the people he represented-how at that moment there were three
million colored slaves in the United States. (1939)
Workbook: August, 2008
- August 31, 2008: Ten months behind.
- August 30, 2008: The house sounds good.
- August 29, 2008: A girl from thirty years ago wants to be in touch.
- August 28, 2008: Old friends, with nothing good to say.
- August 27, 2008: Suzi looked like Hitler.
- August 26, 2008: With evident trepidation the authorities remove you from class.
- August 25, 2008: Owes you $40,000.
- August 24, 2008: Up all night.
- August 23, 2008: You and Paul McCartney are giving a presentation on the music of the Beatles.
- August 22, 2008: "I love you."
- August 21, 2008: Fatigue, lassitude, disinterest.
- August 20, 2008: In blackouts she weeps bitterly...
- August 19, 2008: The only thing worse than a San Diego lawyer...
- August 18, 2008: She's been engaged to every boyfriend she's ever had.
- August 17, 2008: For the first time in their year-long relationship he told her "No."
- August 16, 2008: Peace in the house.
- August 15, 2008: Apartment life: kids aren't allowed to be loud.
- August 14, 2008: Well I may think that this whole scene is just a too appalling for me...
- August 13, 2008: You're participating in the complex robbery of a large installation.
- August 12, 2008: El Día de los Muertos as revolutionary satire.
- August 11, 2008: The feeling of vitality, and promise.
- August 10, 2008: Now that this is settled I feel sorry for him.
- August 9, 2008: "The phone's ringing again."
- August 8, 2008: I loved a girl there...
- August 7, 2008: I felt so alone there.
- August 6, 2008: I came home from my radio shows just as dawn broke...
- August 5, 2008: Hot, first day of summer.
- August 4, 2008: Lonely landlady.
- August 3, 2008: Our focus is so resolutely on her needs.
- August 2, 2008: She's been engaged to every boyfriend she's ever had.
- August 1, 2008: I discovered computers during that time.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.