Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Harriet Tubman No. 11. "$500
Reward! Runaway from subscriber on Thursday night, the 4th inst., from the neighborhood of Cambridge, my
negro girl, Harriet, sometimes called Minty. Is dark chestnut color, rather stout build, but bright and
handsome. Speaks rather deep and has a scar over the left temple. She work a brown plaid shawl. I will
give the above reward captured outside the county, and $300 if captured inside the county, in either case
to be lodged in the Cambridge, Maryland, jail. (Signed) George Carter, Broadacres, near Cambridge, Maryland,
September 24th, 1849" (1940)
Workbook: September, 2009
- September 30, 2009: Age came suddenly, after many years without change.
- September 29, 2009: "Who would have been real."
- September 28, 2009: I had a photograph of her, beautiful in her charming red bowler, on our only date.
- September 27, 2009: She writes from a reunion site, not an email address.
- September 26, 2009: Maybe she resented me for not being what she wanted.
- September 25, 2009: There are too many involved.
- September 24, 2009: Later the sexy one.
- September 23, 2009: I don't want to see any of them.
- September 22, 2009: The Terminatrix.
- September 21, 2009: Don't think of that one, much.
- September 20, 2009: "You're just trying to sound interesting."
- September 19, 2009: I don't think she liked me.
- September 18, 2009: Footfalls, noise, yawns, continual comments on her inner state.
- September 17, 2009: Chronic manipulator...
- September 16, 2009: Most of my life, I tried to gain weight.
- September 15, 2009: The Greeks believed it imperative to help every stranger...
- September 14, 2009: Old woman in a coin-op laundry.
- September 13, 2009: A microphone is loose on its stand.
- September 12, 2009: Gift of food.
- September 11, 2009: The new VP is merely the old Director twenty years further along.
- September 10, 2009: The new CEO lies.
- September 9, 2009: This is not an instance of a good King's ignorance of evil Nobles' doings.
- September 8, 2009: You should call her.
- September 7, 2009: Abandoned girl in the coffee store.
- September 6, 2009: Cool girls in the coffee store.
- September 5, 2009: Loudest boots in the building:
- September 4, 2009: The children's favorite thing:
- September 3, 2009: Street people in the library.
- September 2, 2009: Woman from the shelter steps confidently into traffic...
- September 1, 2009: Fine figure at the bus shelter.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.