Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Harriet Tubman No. 11. "$500
Reward! Runaway from subscriber on Thursday night, the 4th inst., from the neighborhood of Cambridge, my
negro girl, Harriet, sometimes called Minty. Is dark chestnut color, rather stout build, but bright and
handsome. Speaks rather deep and has a scar over the left temple. She work a brown plaid shawl. I will
give the above reward captured outside the county, and $300 if captured inside the county, in either case
to be lodged in the Cambridge, Maryland, jail. (Signed) George Carter, Broadacres, near Cambridge, Maryland,
September 24th, 1849" (1940)
Workbook: September, 2010
- September 30, 2010: "How could you do that!"
- September 29, 2010: "What the fuck are you writing?"
- September 28, 2010: The Coke machine is covered in ice.
- September 27, 2010: She sees herself as Tess Durbeyfield...
- September 26, 2010: My letters to them both:
- September 25, 2010: She said that crappy bar in Athens was the only place she felt "at home".
- September 24, 2010: She lost her contact lens after just two days and cried like a child.
- September 23, 2010: Martyr to her own beauty and the cruelty of others.
- September 22, 2010: She made me so happy once.
- September 21, 2010: College friends, biker friends.
- September 20, 2010: So many hostile to her.
- September 19, 2010: Tears at the airport.
- September 18, 2010: We watched the election from a Motel 6 in Woodland Hills...
- September 17, 2010: Same fantasy, both times.
- September 16, 2010: I seem to have been annoyed by everyone.
- September 15, 2010: She reached out to me with food.
- September 14, 2010: Tedious compliments.
- September 13, 2010: "I can think anything I want about you."
- September 12, 2010: From the blue arrives a thoughtful postcard...
- September 11, 2010: "Hi there! You busy?"
- September 10, 2010: She lied frequently.
- September 9, 2010: Nothing left but to stand around.
- September 8, 2010: The usual off-campus types, usually off campus.
- September 7, 2010: Musty closet...
- September 6, 2010: Sitting on the edge of a great canyon...
- September 5, 2010: It's an interstellar lifeboat, taking our remnants somewhere.
- September 4, 2010: I'm in charge of my own isolation.
- September 3, 2010: Sun, basketball, pizza, Heather.
- September 2, 2010: She calls...
- September 1, 2010: Camelot Wedding Company.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.