Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Harriet Tubman No. 11. "$500
Reward! Runaway from subscriber on Thursday night, the 4th inst., from the neighborhood of Cambridge, my
negro girl, Harriet, sometimes called Minty. Is dark chestnut color, rather stout build, but bright and
handsome. Speaks rather deep and has a scar over the left temple. She work a brown plaid shawl. I will
give the above reward captured outside the county, and $300 if captured inside the county, in either case
to be lodged in the Cambridge, Maryland, jail. (Signed) George Carter, Broadacres, near Cambridge, Maryland,
September 24th, 1849" (1940)
Workbook: September, 2011
- September 30, 2011: Scrutiny.
- September 29, 2011: Astonishing and genuine...
- September 28, 2011: When she moved to kiss me I gave her a cheek...
- September 27, 2011: So stoned all the time...
- September 26, 2011: She's more in love with sadness than with me.
- September 25, 2011: To be alone...
- September 24, 2011: I'm third generation factory proletarian stock, babydog.
- September 23, 2011: While she teases you about the party several of the girls walk in...
- September 22, 2011: I was just here, you tell her, let me show you the photo.
- September 21, 2011: If we're only running in for a minute we can park in the green.
- September 20, 2011: Why didn't you ask her home?
- September 19, 2011: Loneliness...
- September 18, 2011: Sarcasm and hyperbole.
- September 17, 2011: Apathy.
- September 16, 2011: Pretty girl at the show.
- September 15, 2011: By and large, people spend their lives waiting.
- September 14, 2011: Intelligence, education, beauty, integrity...
- September 13, 2011: Her complications have complicated me.
- September 12, 2011: Is she all...
- September 11, 2011: But, through all that, I never ask her.
- September 10, 2011: At the party you talk to everyone.
- September 9, 2011: "I'm not happy with Mexican men."
- September 8, 2011: Where's her boyfriend?
- September 7, 2011: Hard to see her go.
- September 6, 2011: She reads to me from her journal.
- September 5, 2011: Obsessional neurosis.
- September 4, 2011: Vampire and the Sun:
- September 3, 2011: Calm down.
- September 2, 2011: Talk too much.
- September 1, 2011: Says:
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.