Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Frederick Douglass No. 20.
Frederick Douglass left America to lecture in Great Britain. Here he met some of the most progressive
and liberal-minded men in the English speaking world. He made a great speech on Covent Garden Theatre
on August 7, 1846, in which he told of the people he represented-how at that moment there were three
million colored slaves in the United States. (1939)
Workbook: August, 2012
- August 31, 2012: Chased by storm.
- August 30, 2012: The jungle is so much larger than we are.
- August 29, 2012: Fifty generations.
- August 28, 2012: Epiphany: to see under water.
- August 27, 2012: Mars.
- August 26, 2012: Blue: sky and water.
- August 25, 2012: Cobblestones, 17th Century.
- August 24, 2012: What does the road sign say...
- August 23, 2012: Either side of the window: framed travel posters from the 1940s, one by car, one by plane.
- August 22, 2012: Buddy the big gray kitty loved string cheese.
- August 21, 2012: Left side of the street:
- August 20, 2012: Or, perhaps, not, depending.
- August 19, 2012: Taste buds and testicles.
- August 18, 2012: You're living at home, but your mother wants you to move out.
- August 17, 2012: Two thousand in cash.
- August 16, 2012: Not sure I want to go on.
- August 15, 2012: When the deal goes down you're the last one standing.
- August 14, 2012: Dreadful thirst.
- August 13, 2012: She bought me a sub from the deli round the block.
- August 12, 2012: i made money today
- August 11, 2012: Someone tells you your friend, a well-known musician, has died in an accident on a desert highway in Nevada.
- August 10, 2012: You've turned the wheel all the way left...
- August 9, 2012: Thinking of not going.
- August 8, 2012: You and your friend are on the couch when you realize the large black kitty is in fact a panther.
- August 7, 2012: Southern couple, like my family.
- August 6, 2012: The piano's fallen on its side and two of its legs are broken.
- August 5, 2012: Call throughout the day, many times a day, hang up angrily.
- August 4, 2012: She was drunk at nearly every important event of our lives together.
- August 3, 2012: Hang up, call back...
- August 2, 2012: Girl in the restaurant, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
- August 1, 2012: The western theme is like a TriadCity zone.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.