Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Harriet Tubman No. 11. "$500
Reward! Runaway from subscriber on Thursday night, the 4th inst., from the neighborhood of Cambridge, my
negro girl, Harriet, sometimes called Minty. Is dark chestnut color, rather stout build, but bright and
handsome. Speaks rather deep and has a scar over the left temple. She work a brown plaid shawl. I will
give the above reward captured outside the county, and $300 if captured inside the county, in either case
to be lodged in the Cambridge, Maryland, jail. (Signed) George Carter, Broadacres, near Cambridge, Maryland,
September 24th, 1849" (1940)
Workbook: September, 2012
- September 30, 2012: Reunion concert.
- September 29, 2012: Reunion concert.
- September 28, 2012: Marx is difficult to understand.
- September 27, 2012: Reunion concert.
- September 26, 2012: Elderly man with the sallow skin and closed eyes of a day-dead corpse.
- September 25, 2012: Each follows their own path.
- September 24, 2012: The future as prison...
- September 23, 2012: Peace and ruins.
- September 22, 2012: Rain, merely.
- September 21, 2012: Smug.
- September 20, 2012: Outrigger.
- September 19, 2012: What does the street light light...
- September 18, 2012: nothing could ever come between us...
- September 17, 2012: Spend twenty years building a career based on integrity.
- September 16, 2012: Kirk's voyages are modeled on Cook's.
- September 15, 2012: Gotta love the certainty.
- September 14, 2012: Down the corridor to her room.
- September 13, 2012: Spooked by stones.
- September 12, 2012: Revenge of High School English.
- September 11, 2012: Could use a bath.
- September 10, 2012: Rain, soft, tropical, warm.
- September 9, 2012: Cook visited this harbor.
- September 8, 2012: Potato chips and Coca-Cola.
- September 7, 2012: Scooters; Citroëns; baguettes; le truck.
- September 6, 2012: Papeete sunset: glassy harbor slick with oil.
- September 5, 2012: Shelter in the shade, spiral staircase.
- September 4, 2012: Tourists in the market.
- September 3, 2012: Bruce Lee in all directions.
- September 2, 2012: Glass in the sky: reflections in heaven.
- September 1, 2012: It's an old place.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2017 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
"Blogging as Cubism" explains.
Please comment here, on Facebook.
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter.