March 17, 2018:

The other route was through the surfer chicks.

I'd find them bored on the beach where their dimwit BFs left them, to themselves or to each other. Starved and I do mean aching for someone male to talk to.

I'd invite them for a burrito or a smoke, we'd end up snogging behind a good-sized taco truck which hid us from salt-headed BF's view. That's if I got lucky. If I got reaaaaallllly lucky we'd end up with my hand inside a bikini top and a lovely female hand inside my shorts. But that wasn't super often.

At some point I was introduced to actual surfer girls. Not the bored GFs of the surfer boys hotdogging at Tourmaline or Windansea. Girls with wetsuits and shortboards and salt in their own typically long blonde hair. They were college students and as we chatted each other up they invited me to their dorm to get high.

That would be Tioga Hall at UCSD, where ten years later I'd have one of the most wildass sexual encounters of my life, but for right now was completely awestruck by the beauty and the smooth sophistication of these older women.

They introduced me to campus life. They'd loan me meal cards and check out books for me from the absurd Brutalist Central Library, not yet renamed for Dr. Seuss. Don't even try to tell me that thing'll stand in an earthquake. You can't even walk around in there without feeling it's about to tip over. On the trails through the eucalyptus you'd bump into gaggles of Maoists earnestly insisting, "Comrades, I criticize myself!" Most importantly they introduced me to the women's center, the Che Café, and Groundwork Books, which between them became the triple center of my universe.

Of course their most immediate impact on my little life was the very naughty underage sex they'd illegally indulge in, where the jailbait was me but yah cross my heart I won't be informing the authorities. 'Cos, as I was now learning I'd been right about all along, sex is the best thing there is.

They were naughty and they were sweet and they took me under their frequently spread wings. They taught me how to find free food and how to find the clitoris, and I loved them, and I love them now.

Of course, you're way ahead of me and you'll note the obvious. That this entire world is just so fucking much better than high school.