March 22, 2018:

We kept a San Diego street map on the wall in my bedroom. Actually two maps taped together 'cos half the city on each side. With black felt pen we'd trace over the streets we'd ridden. Our goal was to cover the entire map with black lines.

We did manage all the major arteries. If there was a four-lane street in San Diego between 1968 and 1971 we rode it more than once.

Here's an itinerary, purely from memory.

Down Clairemont Drive to Morena Blvd. Under Highway 8 to Juan Street; up the hill on the back streets behind the Presidio. East on University Avenue the entire way. To Fuerte, through El Cajon, out to Flinn Springs on the business road. Back the way we came, but this time to El Cajon Blvd. to Montezuma to Friars Road. Back to Morena Blvd., but this time up the hill via Milton and home on Burgener.

We went up the coast as far as Oceanside. South to Chula Vista. Out to the Point Loma lighthouse frequently. Down to Shelter Island. Up the big hill to the cross on Mt. Soledad. To Belmont Park in P.B., stopping for frosties at Ingraham Street. To Balboa Park where we'd lock our bikes to the drinking fountains at Roosevelt and climb the fence for a day at the Zoo. Or to the Model Railroad Club, which we especially loved. To The Cove many times, or Windansea or Marine Street. The O.B. Pier, many many many times. To Old Town, for pocketloads of sugar sticks from the huge candy store there. There were a lot of black lines on those maps.

He's dead. My childhood bestie. I read his death notice in a Pittsburgh newspaper when I googled his unique name one day.

In my prayers, dudeman.