November 3, 2018:

Yes, we've met them.

Ambassadors from the ranch: younger brother and his jolly wife. They're good ones to start with. They're friendly and fun. He's lanky, like me. She's jolly and rolly-polly. It's a happy introduction to the clan.

In this sequence it's our old apartment. Yale Street, La Mesa. This is not the first meeting, we're all too comfortable. Anyway no — that summer we'd already been to Montana.

She's in a blue spotted dress, like leopard spots. She's thin, her hair is dark, she has it up. I'm holding my kitty, the first one. I love her madly, she's uncomfortable and wants down from my lap. We're on the couch, the only couch, the one she had forever which I wish I still had today: Danish Modern, uncomfortable, cheap thin foam cushions which here are the original brown. Later she had new covers made. The curtains are white with brownish patterns, very period, not yet quite psychedelic but wanting to go there. To one side is a little blue tray on a folding stand which she used as an end-table. I wish I still had that, too.

She's very dour-looking. I don't think she smiles at all, in this whole series. Fits right in with the rest of that lot.

September 5, 1965.