"Before the orange fruit was introduced to the English-speaking world, the colour was referred to (in Old English) as geoluhread, which translates into Modern English variously as yellow-red, yellowred, or yellored (all pronounced the same)."
- In English heraldry, orange denotes strength, honour, generosity, and prosperity. However, its use as a heraldic tincture is relatively rare.
- Orange signifies Protestantism in Northern Ireland (see Orange Institution) and to a lesser extent in the Republic of Ireland (the orange part of whose flag represents the Protestant population) and Hinduism in India and Sri Lanka.
- Orange has become a colour symbolizing opposition around the world.
- Orange was the rallying colour of the 20042005 Orange Revolution in Ukraine.
- Native Americans associated the colour orange with kinship.
- Orange is the contrasting colour of blue and is highly visible against a clear sky. Therefore, orange is often used in safety.
- In the United States Army, orange is the colour of the United States Army Signal Corps.
- Orange is a song by alternative rock band The Dandy Warhols.
Click a thumbnail to see the big picture, or watch the slideshow below.