June 7, 2017:
Gin and tonic.
He rolled out of bed, or off the floor if we're being literal, out the door into Knightsbridge with me in tow, having declined the G&Ts he offered for breakfast. We walked though Chelsea pub-hopping, drinking bitter, eating cheese & tomato. He knew the city, his mother lived there, it was her floor we slept on. I followed him gawking.
Of that trip I remember the Elgin Marbles as they were still called, six feet from Phidias' masterpiece at eye level. The Tube, the Rainbow, trying and failing to see The Jam, staying an extra day to see The Ramones, arriving late in Paris on my own searching for my friends and colleagues, calling out the name of our college from the sidewalk until someone heard.
Years later I stayed sadly on my own in Bloomsbury, missing the friend I now no longer acknowledge.
Thinking of one more try. A week for fun, maybe. On my own with camera. Or with the beautiful woman I adore ambiguously, if she'll go.
June 6, 2017:
Red lights and razor wire.
Where north is the new South.
June 5, 2017:
Motel room selfie.
Him: jet black hair, long ish, scraggly. Head back, unshaven, very very drunk.
Her: thick red hair, soft lips, sad eyes of pain and confusion. Very very drunk.
He loves her. Bones and blood and sinew.
She needs him. Unconditional emotional support as her mind and her world spin crashing inward.
But she resents him. He hurt her, and she's angry.
In a few weeks she'll be gone forever.
Tonight they're together, they're drunk, they're alone, just them and motel room sheets and polaroids.
It's a good night.
- June 4, 2017: "No cholesterol!", she'd say...
- June 3, 2017: In the crush a woman with bloodied hands performs CPR.
- June 2, 2017: The first day and night: friends and martyrs.
- June 1, 2017: I looked at it with Street View.
- May 31, 2017: There was the time a press of belligerent frat boys...
- May 30, 2017: Gin and tonic.
- May 29, 2017: My options are:
- May 28, 2017: Johnny Aisle Seat can't hold still.
- May 27, 2017: Tiny Asian thing, Burberry coat...
- May 26, 2017: "That man..."
- May 25, 2017: He saved a few secondary tidbits for their wedding night.
- May 24, 2017: Sugar-free candy.
- May 23, 2017: Tall Russian blonde in blue jumpsuit with stars.
- May 22, 2017: Dalai Lama incognito:
- May 21, 2017: That moment in the airport...
- May 20, 2017: Elderly couple at the far end of my table.
- May 19, 2017: Timeboxed.
- May 18, 2017: Boys suck. Change my mind.
- May 17, 2017: Looking at the telephone pole gives you an inferiority complex.
- May 16, 2017: He always had clean fingernails.
- May 15, 2017: Pasty with Samsung laptop.
- May 14, 2017: Voice in a dark place.
- May 13, 2017: Elderly with cane...
- May 12, 2017: Tiny ambitions.
- May 11, 2017: Child bride looking for some side action.
- May 10, 2017: business in the front but a party in the bACKKKK
- May 9, 2017: When she was seventeen she traded sex for shelter.
- May 8, 2017: Even with meds he's still brittle.
- May 7, 2017: Triggered by ghosts.
- May 6, 2017: But there was one teacher, who could, who took an interest.
- May 5, 2017: "If you were a bird flying over New England..."
- May 4, 2017: Socially awkward:
- May 3, 2017: Loud at the bar.
- May 2, 2017: "Riddle, Steve, Steve, Riddle."
- May 1, 2017: "She's goin' back to Huwuy..."
- April 30, 2017: "Three hundred fifty dollars worth of damage..."
- April 29, 2017: Run when silent: flee into mystery intervals.
- April 28, 2017: Grandpa in green polyester, Bluetooth in one ear.
- April 27, 2017: Speaker on the brink of revelation.
- April 26, 2017: Just when you think you've got your head adjusted...
- April 25, 2017: Elderly married couple...
- April 24, 2017: Infinite outcomes.
- April 23, 2017: Honeymoon couple in the lagoon.
- April 22, 2017: Empty waiting room...
- April 21, 2017: Part One and Part Two of the same relationship.
- April 20, 2017: I can't narrate the true course of our relationship.
- April 19, 2017: Badass.
- April 18, 2017: Families at the birthday party.
- April 17, 2017: She held me with her strong legs...
- April 16, 2017: "Don't think I don't know what you're doing..."
- April 15, 2017: I will judge you on your shoes.
- April 14, 2017: Weed is my bf hope ur cool with being a side bitch.
- April 13, 2017: Missus Grumpykins frowns aggressively.
- April 12, 2017: What were those candies?
- April 11, 2017: As it becomes clear the middle is empty...
- April 10, 2017: Slumped.
- April 9, 2017: Sugar couple at the hotel bar.
- April 8, 2017: He understands better what happened.
- April 7, 2017: Blind girl with Olympic physique...
- April 6, 2017: Exhausted in the terminal, an hour before boarding.
- April 5, 2017: Tiny blonde in black...
- April 4, 2017: Blonde MILF, far side of the terminal...
- April 3, 2017: There was the blonde highschooler...
- April 2, 2017: Rocking a hotel bed...
- April 1, 2017: Silence is what happens when your confidante ghosts.