October 20, 2002:

Sketch: Mr. B.

Self-satisfied doctrinaire of that peculiarly American kind. Militarist: served in the Pacific theater as a meteorologist, alone on an enemy island with a barometer and a radio. Brought his military experiences with him into civilian life. Beams for instance when little Jean addresses him respectfully as "sir." Throws his chest out with his shoulders back. He'd have us all in uniforms with crewcuts, if only we didn't live in a free country.

Snapshots:

Contradiction between the ideology and the practice of freedom. As if to say, I'll die to defend our country's freedom. And I'll kill anyone who attempts to exercise it.

Comes to believe everything you say is a lie. Which is largely right. It's important to hide the truth from people like him. They have power without wisdom. They'll take you away from the things that are important in your life.

Confused-looking ten year old. The humidity reading is 100%, but, that can't be literally correct. Humidity is the proportion of water in the air. 100% humidity would mean 100% water. We'd be entirely under water. He figures out how the gauge came to read 100%: rain drops have fallen into the collector, leaving a small pool. Thus the gauge actually is under water. But, we're not.

"Shouldn't I correct this reading to 99%, or something like that?"

In front of the class, Mr. B. rolls his eyes in disgust. This kid overlooks no chance to rebel. "100%," is all he says. Harshly, like an army officer.

"But..."

"100%."

End of discussion.

In San Diego they make people like him teachers. In his case, an elite teacher: 5th and 6th grades for the county-wide gifted students program. They bus us for miles to work with the best.