February 17, 2011:

Tonight the background music at my neighborhood Safeway included The Clash.

Not "Lost in the Supermarket", but, natch, "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?"

Still. Capitalist culture is remarkable for its ability to assimilate, distort, and co-opt its ideological opponents.

One of the more breathtaking examples is John Lennon's beautiful "Imagine". Contrary to the way the song is most often presented today, Lennon's intention was not to plead for world peace, but to describe communism as he understood the term at the time. When he sings, "I hope some day you will join us", the "us" were something more interesting than merely John and Yoko. It's a recruitment anthem for the revolutionary movement of 1971.

Naturally the meanings of works of art change with time and context. But something more profound is at play here than merely misunderstanding and repetition.

By coincidence or synchronicity I was wearing a "London Calling" t-shirt tonight at the supermarket. As Strummer's guitar came from the ceiling speakers I was reminded what a nice guy he was. I'm very certain he would not have approved. That use of his music, I mean. I expect the t-shirt would have been ok.