November 20, 2014:

My self-summary

Well-meaning intellectual mutineer currently in complete revolt. Seeking local hiking / dining / activity partners. Not looking for romance at this time.

I'm tall, 6'4", lanky, in ok shape, "cute" — I hate that word but it's what I get — very affectionate, super patient and friendly. Not a gym rat, more of a distance runner body type. Salt and pepper hair, frequent smile. Super gregarious, extremely loyal. Enthusiasm junkie. Very passionate in the things I commit to. I love restaurants, movies, hiking, shopping (really), road trips, cooking at home, weekends out of town, music, reading, travel. I tend to gravitate toward younger people. Not seeking romance at this time. New to the region, hoping to meet intelligent, educated locals interested in exploration and casual dates; fun; laughs; rest and relaxation; without framing the relaxation as something which must necessarily lead to family.

I'm an artist working in computer-mediated and other forms of nontraditional narrative. My work is very highly regarded by the five or six people in the world who care about experimental literature. I simultaneously pursue a life-long commitment to writing and recording songs — my house is as much a recording studio as a living space — I own more guitars than silverware. I keep the roof on by fixing broken technology companies, a career which provides a large roof but does not define my life. Prior to this for two decades I was a peripatetic activist in the antiwar and social justice movements, with no roof overhead.

Please do reach out if: you're a writer, artist, musician, dancer, actor, filmmaker, choreographer, performer, photographer, activist, rock and roller, bohemian, red, rebel, reject, seeker, badass or special ed student. || You're really not that interested in mutual funds. || You own or at least read lots of books. || You want to leave something of substance to the world beyond merely your DNA. || You're interested in the work of Louis Althusser and his circle. || You think it seriously stinks that some people get to eat and others don't. || You have tattoos you designed yourself. || Your career pays your bills, but your life is defined by deeper interests. || You tried to read Atlas Shrugged but couldn't stop laughing. || You believe the phrase "typical girl" is an insult both to yourself and to women generally. || You're not like everybody else.

What I'm doing with my life

I am very restless. Looking for something. Not sure what.

Feeling isolated in an unhappy and constricting way among circles who are very skilled at analyzing business models and investment strategies, but don't know jack about culture or art or the things that make us specifically human. According to the Romantics anyway. The 19th Century cultural movement, not the band.

I'm really good at

Listening very carefully. Figuring things out. Painterly prose. Spoonerisms. Saying, "You'll never take me alive, copper!" out of the corner of my mouth. Not doing what I'm told.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music and food

Books: Ulysses, The Banquet Years, Gravity's Rainbow, Passages From Antiquity to Feudalism, Reading Capital, The Masks of God, Resurrection, Conversations With Kafka, A Theory of Literary Production, Minima Moralia, Tom Jones, The Man Without Qualities, The Waste Land, Dune, Guilliver's Travels, An Attempt at Exhausting a Place in Paris, The Interpretation of Dreams, Pale Fire, LOTR, Nana, Lost Illusions, Kafka's diaries, Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition, If On a Winter's Night a Traveler, Alice in Wonderland, A Void, Hamlet on the Holodeck, Dirty Old Man, Zazie in the Metro, 1001 Nights, Snow Crash, Tristram Shandy. Computer-mediated narrative: TriadCity.

Music: I play guitar, mandolin, ukulele, slide guitar, harmonica, and bass; and own a drum kit I'm not very good at. Listen to and love pretty much all styles of music except smooth jazz. Lately very into 1940s pop, swing and country; and very much in love with boogie woogie piano.

Movies: The Graduate, Harold and Maude, Almost Famous, Brazil, Metropolis, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monterey Pop, Machete, The African Queen, Blow Up, Time Bandits, The Philadelphia Story, Performance, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, City of Lost Children, The Last Picture Show, Gimme Shelter, A Hard Day's Night, A Clockwork Orange.

TV: Craig Ferguson. Yep. Other than that, not so much.

Food: The Greek in Santa Cruz; La Viga in Redwood City; El Frijolito in Watsonville; Brandy Ho's in SF; 71 Saint Peter in SJ.

The six things I could never do without

The toes on my left foot. Just kidding.

I spend a lot of time thinking about

This or a distressingly similar phrase appears in many profiles here: "driven, motivated, goal-oriented". I expect people are using it because they want to discourage those they might consider lazy. But, I doubt they know the etymology of the word "goal", which originally meant limit or boundary or constraint. So, I read the phrase with great irony, as a kind of semaphore meaning the person using it has unknowingly trapped herself in a circle of shallow ambition she's later going to look back on as false, debilitating, and life-wasting. Personally I'd much rather be friends with those who have no clue about their life direction. Neither do the "driven, goal-oriented" ones, the difference being that the clueless have reached that realization first. They're going to be the ones with far happier lives. You can trust me on this.

On a typical Friday night I am

Probably taller than your ex.

You should message me if

You're bored to tears by all the continent-collecting, zip-lining, sky-diving, microbrew-swilling, Giants-rooting, helmet-wearing, cockpit-posing, dolphin-swimming, cliff-face-hanging, career-loving, gym-haunting, goal-oriented clone boys on here. Or to put it differently but with the same meaning: the thought of respecting conformity makes you angry.