January 13, 2018:

I've known people who've heard that story and replied, "Well — you knew the rules. You should have followed them." Implying that what happened was some failure of mine.

I'm astounded by that. Dumbfounded.

It's like a litmus test of who's a good person and who's a bad one. I can't think of any individual who responded by implying that passivity to injustice is a good thing who turned out to be an honorable, valuable friend.

We're Americans. We believe in things. We believe in right and wrong, with the intention to do right. We believe that injustice should be fought, not shrugged over and ignored. We don't passively accept incompetent rules. We change them, or we get them changed. That's how our country was founded. It's who we are.

I believe in truth, justice, and the American way. That's our national DNA.

You people who answer, "Well — you knew the rules. You should have followed them." You don't belong in America. Seriously, you should move to Nazi Germany, where citizens who were passive in the face of injustice were valued. You'd fit in there.

You'd be comfortable. You could have a little house, a little job, a couple of little kids. Maybe even a white picket fence. Never trouble yourself about right and wrong.

Of course, we Americans will hang you at Nuremberg. 'Cos, that's who we are.

And then all will be right with the world.