March 27, 2021:

For me, Montana was boredom and mosquitos.

I liked the cows. They were friendly, gentle, happy. I did not like knowing they were going to be murdered. Ultimately this led to my near-vegetarian lifestyle. I've eaten no beef since decades.

The horses were too big for me to be comfortable with. I was unable to control them, which they could clearly sense, so that riding was stressful. The grownups made me do it anyway. Why? I guess because it's what there was to do there.

Fishing was empty apart from the million mosquitos. The air everywhere there was more mosquitos than oxygen.

There was a very nice man there. Very nice. Erwin, the brother of the matron of the house. He was kind, spent time with me. He was also talented, a fine black and white photographer. Much later he died from inhaling too much wheat dust. Life and death on the infinite prairie. I pray for him with fondness and gratitude.

Could they have perhaps checked out some library books? Provided something for your young author's edification, even amusement?

No. That would have implied that he existed for them, which he most emphatically did not.